Pineapple-Lemon Highball: Mocktailized


There is so much history in the Pineapple-Lemon Highball.

I couldn’t help digging for the stories of JulianAnderson and RebeccaWest, two of the three inspirations for Toni Tipton-Martin’s revival of this boozy bev, which also draws on one of TomBullock’s high balls.

Interesting fun fact: Like Tom Bullock, it’s said that Julian Anderson didn’t drink either. #StraightEdgeLife #MocktailGoals

Brainstorming tea substitutions for whiskey, the spirit used in the Pineapple-Lemon Highball, I looked up booze and tea pairings to consider one of those teas as the whiskey replacement.

I uncovered a lot of talk about whiskey with green tea. I didn’t doubt the consensus, but I didn’t know why barley tea wasn’t mentioned after reading about its starring role in an alcohol-freeOld-Fashioned.

Toni Tipton-Martin'sPineapple-Lemon Highball: Mocktailized

  • Ice cubes
  • Irish whiskey Barley tea
  • Sweet white dessert wine Kimino Ume Sparkling Juice
  • Lemon juice
  • Pineapple syrup: pineapple, sugar, water, salt
  • Seltzer or sparkling water (I used half the amount.)
  • Lemon garnish

Equipment: saucepan, potato masher, strainer, container (for tea)

Me: I smelled the pineapple. An unidentifiable taste hit my buds in the first sip. But after that, the flavors were so blended I wouldn’t have known what was in it if I hadn’t mixed it myself. The carbonation was slight. Refreshing all around

GJ: Tangy. Refreshing. There was a faint taste of pineapple in my burp but not while drinking any of it. The barley tea reminded me of coffee.

Another Round? Daily, but I’d be interested in making this with green tea next time.