See You On Wednesday

Riff. A term common in music, the culinary world has adopted the word “riff” to talk about alternatives. I normally hear it referred to plant-based foods and recipes as well as alcohol-free drinks.

So when I saw “riff” used to introduce a Natasha David recipe in Liquor.com, I felt the need to poke around on YouTube for the most popular explanations of “riff”.

Enter Charles.

Poked out from YouTube research, I was ready to make a couple of David’s See You On Wednesday bevs.

A combination of bright, salty, sweet, and fiery ingredients (Thx again, Nik Sharma.), the Liquor.com article spotlights a homemade salt solution, where all the riffing must take place, or so I decided.

David’s salt solution component uses Kosher salt. Refusing to mess things up like a favorite mistake I haven’t yet posted, I passed up the plain old table salt for some flaky Kosher-esque Moldon I already had. Don’t judge.

See You On Wednesday by Natasha David

  • Jalapeno
  • Cilantro
  • Agave nectar
  • Celery juice
  • Lime juice
  • Salt solution
  • Tajin
  • Celery spear

Equipment: shaker cup, muddler, fine-mesh strainer

Me: Went down smooth, starting with the celery and ending with the pepper with nothing but balance in between. It wasn’t too sweet. The lime didn’t make me pucker. I was hoping the Tajin would’ve complemented the jalapeno instead of trying to compliment the Moldon.
GJ: You had to tell me cilantro was in here ‘cause it just seemed like there was something other than celery. The Tajin added saltiness, not spice. I didn’t get a lot of spice from the pepper. It was very subtle and didn’t linger, but that didn’t detract from my final decision.
Another Round? Yes for the both of us. I’ll have mine without Tajin.