Palomas

In my dead-end search on the origins of the boozy Paloma, I unearthed creative interpretation. And I’m not just talking about grapefruit juice + soda OR grapefruit soda OR a combo of all three.

Although I already knew which zero-proof Palomas I’d be making, the variety of Paloma recipes I came across had me second guessing.

The Punch staff, for example, wrote about how the classic Paloma inspired a range of takes on the drink and included links to boozy Paloma recipes with transformative, zero-proof syrups: spicy molasses, savory red bell pepper, nutty orgeat….

Yes, orgeat can be made spirit-free. So there. Anyway….

The Palomas we sipped on this week were sweetened with basic agave in one hand and a homemade salted rosemary syrup in the other. Spoiler alert. They were both delish!

Salted Rosemary Paloma from Julia Bainbridge’s Good Drinks

  • Salted rosemary syrup
  • Grapefruit juice
  • Lime juice
  • Soda water (I used seltzer.)

Palo-no from Camille Wilson’s Free Spirit Cocktails

  • Grapefruit juice
  • Lime juice
  • Agave syrup (from the bottle, not a homemade simple syrup)
  • Sparkling water (I used seltzer.)

Equipment: saucepan, fine-mesh strainer, containers/bottles, funnel, citrus press, barspoon

Me: The salted syrup led the parade of tastes; the tang of the juice was at the end of the rosemary one, and the mouthfeel was a bit heavy. The Paloma with agave had sour notes that activated my taste buds in a real way. I’m glad I used half the amount of agave syrup. Otherwise, it would’ve been more of a soft drink.
GJ: The rosemary one had a nice tangy flavor. The syrup’s herb and sweetness were subtle and took the edge of the bitterness off the grapefruit. The Palo-no had the same level of citrus-y sourness, but it was slightly sweeter and more refreshing than the rosemary one.
Another Round? A daily of each for GJ. I’ll take a weekly of each but only because I want my other six days filled with Palomas sweetened with different syrups.