Haldi Doodh

Turmeric was never on the team of café drink menus during my high school and college days. But now what’s been coined the “turmeric latte” is a common caffeine-free alternative in the US mainstream.

That said, it’s no surprise this golden milk has also become an alternative among teetotalers. But it was a surprise to me because I had no idea I’d run across a recipe for it in Imbibe.

I went crazy over how the coconut oil in this golden milk’s recipe seemed to replace the optional ghee in what’s always been known as Haldi Doodh.

Upset by the math I’d have to do on the 2 cups of Morita’s homemade turmeric spice paste for just a couple of servings of his golden milk, and curious about chilled versions of Haldi Doodh, I pushed it along.

What luck to have found a modified family recipe of Haldi Doodh from Sana Javeri Kadri, who coincidentally started her spice company with turmeric as her only product.

I made hot and chilled versions of Kadri’s Haldi Doodh then put my spin on them: coconut manna in the hot Haldi Doodh; and unsweetened canned coconut milk in the chilled one.

Haldi Doodh by Sana Javeri Kadri

  • Milk (I used oatmilk.)
  • Turmeric
  • Cardamom
  • Ginger
  • Cinnamon
  • Black pepper
  • Sweetener (I used agave.)

Equipment: saucepan, measuring spoons and cups, whisk

Both divided batches of “my” Haldi Doodh thickened more than I’d expected. We took shots of the chilled one (pic 3) to taste the original intensity of flavors before diluting it and its hot sister with unsweetened almond milk.

Me: So glad I added more milk. The shots were strongly spiced with a smoothie consistency; I could taste everything behind the turmeric but not necessarily at the same time; these would be good monthly because the chilled diluted Haldi Doodh barely had any kick to it. The hot bev was immediately comforting with a mild spiciness and sweetness I could taste; I might’ve found a morning coffee replacement.

GJ: I’d only take the shots on special occasions; the spice really hit the back of my throat; it was sweet at first, and then I really got the turmeric. The spice of the chilled diluted version wasn’t as overwhelming; it was creamy and refreshing overall. The hot one had a little more of a buttery taste to it right off the bat; there was a nicer balance of spice and sweet; a sip ‘n’ saver for sure; I prefer this one.

Another Round? Daily hotties for me and GJ. A weekly chilled Haldi Doodh for GJ, but I’ll pass on the chilled one unless it’s the original strength Haldi Doodh.