Hibiscus Cooler with Spice Syrup and Lime

I first started brewing my own hibiscus tea nearly 20 years ago when I was living abroad.

I wasn’t looking for it while shopping at my then-neighborhood discount superstore. But I quickly identified its dried dark red flowers packaged in big clear bags.

Chilled and unsweetened, homemade hibiscus tea instantly became the bev that finally filled the empty space in the fridge where the Kool-Aid hadn’t been for moons. And it felt right. But why?

Janel Martinez’ article about the origins of hibiscus in the Americas does a solid job of explaining the historical basics.

With links to older free reads from Dr. Judith Carney and Adrian Miller, the knowledge Martinez drops validates so much: from my personal affinity to hibiscus (despite never growing up with it), to the flower’s significance in this zero-proof cooler from Haitian-American chef Gregory Gourdet.

Hibiscus Cooler with Spice Syrup and Lime from Gourdet’s Everyone’s Table

  • Maple syrup (I ran out and used honey.)
  • Ginger
  • Black peppercorns
  • Cinnamon sticks
  • Coriander seeds
  • Star anise
  • Limes
  • Carbonated water

Equipment: saucepan, heat-proof container (for the tea), strainer, whisk

Me: The sweetness and wisp of spice in the syrup weren’t too much. I couldn’t even taste the honey. The way the syrup muted the sour of the hibiscus wasn’t disappointing. I’d still describe the hibiscus flavor as “bright”. The overall taste wasn’t too light or too heavy.

GJ: Oh my goodness. All the components worked very well together. It was not overwhelmingly sweet, sour, or spiced. It was very refreshing and probably one of the most visually appealing drinks so far.

Another Round? A daily for each of us.