Dawa

Dance reminds me of the second most important person from my life.

A promising young dancer, she encouraged me to take toddler ballet at a local dance school where she worked as an assistant. She included me in a community summer school dance routine she choreographed (Donna Summer’s Last Dance with “the big kids”). She even sat me in the corner of some of her university extension dance classes she offered to adults.

So, I make sure to keep dance in my life.

In fact, dance is how I discovered the zero-proof Kenyan bev, Dawa. There’s actually more than one Dawa recipe out there, including some boozy ones. The version I first learned about was from Kukuwa.

Kukuwa subscribers fam not only has access to an ever-growing variety of African dance workout vids and even dance routines, but they also have other areas of their members-only site, including a recipe section with Chef Les’ Dawa.

I made ours chilled and unsweetened.

Dawa from Chef Lesiamon Ole Sempele

  • Oranges
  • Lemons
  • Limes
  • Ginger (fresh)
  • Turmeric (fresh)
  • Water
  • sweetener (optional, for us at least)

Equipment: sauce pot, bowl or glass/cup, pitcher, knife, strainer

Me: I could smell fruit and ginger before my first sip. I couldn’t taste the ginger the way I expected though. The bitter bit my buds in a major way, like grapefruit juice. Looking forward to the hot version with sweetener.

GJ: It was equal parts sour and bitter for me. The bitterness really stood out at first then lessened after a few sips. I could definitely taste the ginger. Yeah, this is good. I could see sweetener adding something to this.

Another Round? Weekly, please, but with a little agave or honey next time.