Strawberry Horchata


 

Welp, last week happened. The blending instructions for these berry horchatas might as well have been in Orkan.

With as many times as I’d made my own non-dairy milk, I forgot to add all the water required. Vwah-lah, a copycat amazake recipe. I’m sure Grainaissance, who’s probably been stanning me since last week, is relieved they went outta business before I came through with some real heat. #GetScared

Anyway….

I’ve been visiting Imbibe off and on since they published one of my loved ones more than a decade ago. No, not a drink. A living, breathing, literate human being (although I do plead guilty to personifying food ‘n’ bev on a bad day.).

Now, to the horchata’s credit, it is tryst-worthy. I don’t make them at home too often because I almost always have brown rice on hand, not the white rice horchatas are known for.

So even though it was the berry purée from this recipe’s pic that initially caught my eye, the white-to-brown rice swap in the ingredients was why I had to whiz these up.

Strawberry Horchata by Gonzalo Guzmán Stacy Adimando

Horchata

  • Brown rice
  • Almonds
  • Agave
  • Cinnamon

Strawberry Purée

  • Strawberries
  • Agave
  • Lime juice
  • Salt

Equipment: blender, fine-mesh strainer or a nut milk maker like mine

Me: The berries took the show for sure. The horchata on its own was spiced nicely, but the agave overpowered the rice and almonds; it had more body than the nut-free white rice horchatas I’m used to, but I’m on a flavor quest, so….

GJ: Flavor-wise this was the same as I remember: berry, milk, and spice. Smoother texture-wise. The almonds were very subtle. Mmmm.

Another Round? Make it a daily for GJ. I’ll have one weekly with sweetener-free milk. And we’ll take a couple shots of berry almond milk created on the fly to clean the berry puree from the sides and bottom of the blender (below).