Ginger and Tamarind Refresher



 

Confession: I bought the wrong tamarind paste for this drink but didn’t throw it out.

I’d already tried it before reading the label about exposing myself and any unborn children to cancerous toxins. The grip that taste had on me was real. For a few unflinching days, this stuff became the new Ranch but better because I could smear it on all-things savory or sweet.

Thankfully, I was able to find a decent replacement for Nik Sharma’s Ginger and Tamarind Refresher.

Sharma does recommend fresh tamarind pulp for his nectar. So going in, I had an idea of what this drink would lack with store-bought paste and considered this first round a sneak peek. But I wasn’t going to skip this recipe when I came across it because I’m getting so much out of his second book,The Flavor Equation.

Ginger and Tamarind Refresher by Nik Sharma (reprinted from his first book)

  • Water
  • Tamarind pulp or paste
  • Ginger
  • Sugar
  • Club soda or water, chilled (I made filtered tap water and tonic versions.)

Equipment: sauce pan, nonreactive bowl, strainer, big spoon, airtight container


Me: The ginger’s taste and slight heat lingered throughout my mouth in a good way. Not so with the tonic one, which I didn’t hold against that version because it wasn’t like the sweetness took an obvious lead.

GJ: Equal parts tart and spiced in both versions. The one with water made for a nice refresher but was a little “watered down”. The tonic one was crisp, and I preferred it because of the fizz.

Another Round? You bet. A daily round of each for both of us with fresh tamarind pulp and some DIY tonic water if you don’t mind.