Syrups & Bitters

It’s my birthday weekend.

As a gift to myself, I made three ingredients for the first time: a grenadine; a 2:1 simple syrup of brown cane sugar, or piloncillo; and some tea bitters.

DIY Grenadine by Serious Eats

  • Pomegranate juice
  • White granulated sugar
  • Pomegranate molasses OR extra sugar (I took the extra sugar route.)
  • Rosewater (I used lime juice.)

Rich Simple Syrup from Liquor.com

  • Brown sugar cane (suggested in a Food & Wine article)
  • Water

Tea Bitters from Julia Bainbridge’s Good Drinks

  • Black tea
  • Water

Equipment (all recipes): sauce pan, something to stir with, funnel, container with a seal

There was more than one grenadine recipe worth making. I loved how some called for additions like orange blossom water, rosewater, or citrus juice. As a first-timer, I decided to keep it simple (left bottle).

The number of basic syrup recipes for drinks out there requires the unleashing of “plethora” from its cage. I needed sugarcane juice, so I went with brown cane sugar syrup as a substitute (right bottle). More on how I used it in an upcoming post.

Tea bitters, aka, over-steeped tea (center bottle). Sounds disappointing, I know. But the variety of teas available is too plethoric for this to be true. Let’s not forget about botanical fusion possibilities either. No doubt I’m at the tip of the iceberg.

I’m so new to spirit-free drink building and replacing the taste of alcohol that I’ll definitely be posting about syrups and bitters regularly, not to mention my journey in flavor studies. Onward and upward!