Chili-Lime-Pineapple Soda


In my capsaicin-crazed family, the more a hot sauce or solid pepper forced one to cough so badly that their eyes welled up with tears the better. Indeed, The Cough ‘n’ Cry was their stamp of approval.

Not for me and my sweet tooth though. For about 25 years, I’d have nothing to do with such brutishness….until someone offered me a chilito candy, my gateway drug to Scoville-ville.

So when I found Bon Appetit’s Chili-Lime-Pineapple Soda, I was all in because I could taste the sweet heat while learning how to whip up one of these bad boys.

Chili-Lime-Pineapple Soda by Bon Appetit

  • Pink peppercorns (I used black)
  • Lime
  • Dried chiles de arbol
  • Pineapple juice
  • Sugar
  • Salt
  • Club soda

Equipment: mortar & pestle, paring knife or peeler, 1-quart airtight container, fine-mesh strainer, 1-cup measuring glass

I ended up making three versions based on the pepper substitutions suggested: one with chile de arbol, a second with raw serranos, and a third with raw jalapenos. Without intending too, I left the liquid-pepper infusions sit for five days instead of the suggested three.
Chile de arbol version
Me: I could barely taste the chile or the peppercorns. The sour was just a whisper. It was so sweet that it still tasted like juice.
GJ: I didn’t get a whole lotta heat, but it was a nice balance of sweet and sour.
Serrano version
Me: The spice was strong enough to get a little cough out of me and leave some heat on my palate. It was a tad sweeter than it was sour but just by a hair.
GJ: Really good. Just right on the spice. Sweet and sour enough.
Jalapeno version
Me: Not as spicy as the serrano one, more sweet than sour, but still a winner
GJ: Flatter than the serrano version. The sweetness was good, but it wasn’t as sour as the serrano one.
Another round? Definitely a daily round of all three for GJ, and a daily of the serrano and jalapeno for me.