Agua Frescas a la Rick Bayless


While comparing chia fresca recipes with my go-to combination, I stumbled upon a few agua frescas by good ol’ Rick Bayless from PBS’ cooking show, Authentic Mexican.

I knew I’d be into these quenchers because I make my own green smoothies daily using pretty much the same ingredients: mild greens, whole fruit, and citrus juice (no added sweeteners).

The main difference between green smoothies and drinks like Bayless’ frescas is that smoothies aren’t strained which makes them more fiber-rich and, therefore, more filling.

So even though the great taste of these babies wouldn’t be a surprise, I was still excited to make them.

Cucumber Agua Frescas and Jugo Verde by Rick Bayless

Agua Frescas

  • Cucumber
  • Lime juice
  • Mint OR cilantro
  • Sugar (I used brown sugar)

Jugo Verde

  • Cucumber
  • Pineapple
  • Spinach OR parsley OR alfalfa leaves (I used spinach)

Equipment: chef’s knife, blender, citrus juicer or squeezer, 4-cup measuring glass, 1/4-cup measuring cup, mesh strainer

Mint Agua Fresca
Me: There was a faint but unexpected pickle-y smell before my first sip. Not half bad overall, but I immediately wished I’d added agave instead of sugar.
GJ: Refreshingly minty. I wouldn’t have objected to more sugar, but it wasn’t a deal breaker as-is.
Cilantro Agua Fresca
Me: I preferred this one over the mint one because it was sweet in a different way. I’d still add agave in the future.
GJ: Not as sweet-n-sour as the mint, which I preferred more than this one.
Pineapple-Spinach Jugo Verde
Me: Sweet-sour ratio tasted even. I could barely taste the spinach, which is neither a bad nor a good thing in my book.
GJ: Good balance of fruity and “green”. Not overwhelmingly sour. I’d be okay with a little sugar.
Another round? Naturally. I’d have all three weekly, preferably without added sweetner. GJ, says “yes, daily” to the jugo verde and mint agua fresca and “yes, weekly” to the cilantro agua fresca. Adding some bubbles was discussed.